- Classic Red
- Brilliant Black
- Montego Blue Mica
- Starlight Mica (M Edition only)
- (New) Power Steering Package: Power-assisted Steering and wheel trim rings.
- Popular Equipment Package: (New) Rear Subframe bracerod (listed
with this package because its use was discontinued as a standard feature),
power-assisted steering, leather wrapped steering-wheel, power mirrors, aluminum
alloy wheels with locks, Torsen limited-slip differential (requires manual transmission)
, headrest speakers, cruise control, power windows and power antenna.
- Leather Package: Popular Equipment Package items, plus tan interior with
leather seating surfaces and tan vinyl top.
- R Package (requires manual transmission): Sport suspension with Bilstein
shock absorbers, rear spoiler, front air dam, rear skirt, alloy wheels with
locks and Torsen limited slip differential and rear subframe bracerods (not available with automatic or other
- Removeable hardtop with defroster.
- Automatic transmission.
- Anti-lock brakes.
- (New) Mazda Premium Sound System (minor name and appearance change).
- M Edition (Starlight Mica only):
- This special Miata includes Starlight Mica paint, 15 inch five-spoke
alloy wheels, tan interior and tan vinyl top, remote keyless entry system with
alarm, performance tires P195/50R15, Torsen limited-slip differential, Miata logo embroidered in blue on seatback,
Nardi wood shift knob, wood parking brake handle, air conditioning, M edition
door sill plates, Mazda Premium Sound System with CD player and headrest speakers,
M edition logo on the tachometer, M edition floor mats and commemorative
key chain, lapel pin and badge. Other options available are anti-lock brakes,
a removeable hardtop and automatic transmission. This M edition was only
produced for 4 months with a total production of 2,968.
- Laguna Blue Metallic discontinued - total production: 2,359
- '94 total production: 1,797
- '95 total production: 562
- '95 Leather packages: 122
- The following items were New or redesinged for the '96 Miata:
- Trunk light
- Interior dome light
- Black hazard light button
- Rear view mirror mounted on windshield
- Horsepower increase to 133
- OBD II system
- Door panel mounted arm rest returned as a standard feature
- Wire mesh door speaker covers
- Panasonic AM/FM cassette stereo (#1273) with built-in CD unit controls
- Panasonic in-dash CD player, only controlled by new (#1273) radio
- Storage bin below new (#1273) radio is larger and includes a front lip
- Cut-pile carpeting
- The following items were discontinued for the '96 Miata
- Map pockets for models that have manual windows
- Passenger side interior light is gone but the indentation for its mounting
remains in the dash
- Glove box lining
- Mazda logo from the center caps of the base model steel wheel
- Not all '96 Miatas got the new radios and cut-pile carpeting.
It is most likely that the old radios and carpet were installed until
Mazda's supply ran out.
- This was the only year to have the rear view mirror
attached to the windshield and door panels with out the extra padded
area, that was added in '97.